GK & Current Affairs: December 21, 2016
1. Who of the following has won the BBC sports personality of the Year 2016?
Answer: Andy Murray
Andy Murray, a Scottish professional tennis player, has won the BBC sports personality of the Year 2016 at the Genting Arena in Birmingham, England. With this, he became the first person to win award 3 times.
2. The India-Nepal folk crafts festival (INCF-2016) has started in which city?
The India-Nepal Folk Crafts Festival (INCF-2016) has started in Kathmandu, Nepal on December 19, 2016 to promote cultural exchanges between the two neighbours. The festival is an initiative of South Asia Foundation (SAF) and aims to promote crafts based bilateral relations and enhance cultural exchanges between the artisans of India and Nepal. The 5-day festival will highlight more than 70 theme based pavilion with focus on folk crafts of India and Nepal, cultural events, live demonstration by crafts-persons, design workshops to be conducted by qualified designers, trade facilitation and exclusive buyer-seller meet among others. The SAF, set up in 1991, has been working to enhance the livelihood of the artisans of the region and contributing towards strengthening the crafts sector of both the countries.
3. The International Human Solidarity Day is observed on which date?
Answer: December 20
The United Nations’ (UN) International Human Solidarity Day is observed every year on December 20 to celebrate unity in diversity. The day reminds people on the importance of solidarity in working towards eradicating poverty. Its purpose is to eradicate poverty and promote human and social development in developing countries, in particular among the poorest segments of their populations.
4. The 2016 Hero Indian Super League (ISL) has been won by which football team?
[D]Atletico de Kolkata
Answer: Atletico de Kolkata
Atletico de Kolkata has won the 2016 Hero Indian Super League (ISL) by defeating the Kerala Blasters in a penalty shootout by 4–3 in the final at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Kochi, Kerala.
5. Which state will become the first Indian state to have 24×7 helpline for forests?
The Maharashtra forest department will launch a state-wide call centre facility from January 6, 2017 for registering complaints or getting information about issues related to forests and wildlife. The facility would enable citizens to complain about illegal wildlife trade, poaching, forest fires and encroachments on reserved land, among others. With this facility, Maharashtra will become the first Indian state to have 24×7 helpline for forests.
6. Who has been honoured with ‘Legends Award’ by the International Boxing Association (AIBA)?
Answer: Mary Kom
M C Mary Kom , an Olympic bronze-medallist and a five-time world champion, has been honoured with the ‘Legends Award’ by the International Boxing Association (AIBA) for her trailblazing boxing career in Montreux, Switzerland. Beside her, Vikas Krishan has also won the AIBA Pro Boxing (APB) Best Boxer trophy at the AIBA’s 70th anniversary event.
7. Consider the following statements: a. The 2017 Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCSS) will be hosted by United Kingdom. b. The GCSS conference is to promote practical cooperation in cyberspace. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
[C]Both a & b
[D]Neither a nor b
Answer: Only b
India will host the 5th edition of the Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCSS) in 2017 in which over 100 countries are expected to participate. GCCS will deliberate on issues related to promotion of cooperation in cyberspace, norms for responsible behaviours in cyberspace and to enhance cyber capacity building. The purpose of the GCSS conference is to promote practical cooperation in cyberspace, to enhance cyber capacity building and to discuss norms for responsible behaviour in cyberspace.
8. Consider the following statements: a. The headquarters of Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) is located at Kanpur. b. ALIMCO has recently signed MoU with UK firm to produce affordable wheel chairs. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
[C]Both a & b
[D]None of the above
Answer: Both a & b
The Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) has recently signed MoU with UK-based Motivation Charitable trust to manufacture affordable state-of-art wheel chairs according to WHO guidelines in India. The ALIMCO is a non-profit making organisation, working under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to manufacture artificial limb components and rehabilitation aids for the benefit of the physically handicapped. The headquarters of Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO) is located at Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
9. The 2016 Sahitya Akademi award has been won by which author?
[A]Joe D Cruz
Tamil writer Vannadasan has been selected for 2016 Sahitya Akademi award for his book “Oru Siru Isai”, a collection of short stories. He has been active in the modern Tamil literary field for more than 30 years and contributing immensely to the literature, particularly in the field of short story and poetry.
10. The book “Asura: Tale of the Vanquished: The Story of Ravana and His People” has been authored by whom?
Answer: Anand Neelakantan
The book “Asura: Tale of the Vanquished: The Story of Ravana and His People” has been authored by Anand Neelakantan. The author depicts the Ramayana focusing on the Ravana and Bhadra’s characters and their view points. This tale has attempted to escape from the dullness of recounting stories from the point of view of a victor.This narrative is a blend of history, religion and mythology. The book has aimed to demystify the blunders done by the Deva clan, which is represented as conventional and prejudiced. Also, it throws light on the liberation enjoyed by the Asuras. .
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|