G20 People’s Climate Vote 2021 report
As per G20 People’s Climate Vote 2021 Report, around 67% of the youth in India consider climate crisis as a global emergency. They are also vocal regarding the pressing need for urgent policy change or creation.
Key findings of the report
- Report notes that, youth are ‘walking the talk’ by going with climate conscious choices in their lifestyles. For instance,
- By buying sustainably sourced products
- By opting eco-friendly transportation
- By devoting their skills to harness innovative ideas, in a bid to aid action towards climate crisis.
- Youth across the globe are more aware of the severity of climate change. They are seeking urgent policy-action on the climate strongly.
- In India, 67% of the young population aged under 18 years consider climate change a global emergency as against 58% of adults.
- Youth across the world, including in India, are likely to play a crucial role in climate-action space.
Impact on political decision
Report highlights that, in next few years, youth will be influencing political decisions. Thus, governments should consider their voices while making decisions which will affect them more.
UNDP India Youth Climate Champion
United Nations Development Programme India recently announced their partnership with content creator Prajakta Koli, as first UNDP India Youth Climate Champion.
UNDP in India
UNDP has been working in India, since 1951 across all the aspects of human development, ranging from systems & institutional strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods, besides sustainable energy, environment and resilience. Programmes of UNDP completely integrate a global vision for catalytic change with India’s national priorities. UNDP India is running more than 30 projects on ground in ever state. With these programmes, UNDP seeks to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals by transforming traditional models.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
UNDP helps countries in eliminating poverty and achieving sustainable economic growth & human development. It is headquartered in New York City. It is the largest UN development aid agency, having offices in 170 countries.
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs