Dexa: BCCI’s new selection criteria for Indian players
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced on January 1st that the Dexa bone density test will be mandatory for Indian players to be selected for the national team. The Yo-Yo Test will also return as part of the team’s preparation for the 2023 ODI World Cup. This comes after a year of injuries for the Indian team, which saw them fail to reach the final of both the Asia Cup and the T20 World Cup.
What is Dexa?
- Dexa, also known as the bone density test, is an X-ray technology that measures bone strength.
- It can help identify if a person has a risk of breaking or losing bones, and can be used to determine if a player is at risk of fracturing any body parts.
- Dexa can also measure body composition and record body fat and muscle mass.
Why the Changes?
- The strict measures implemented by the BCCI to ensure player fitness before selection come as a response to the team’s injury crisis over the past year.
- Indian captain Rohit Sharma has spoken out about the issue, suggesting that half-fit players have been playing for India.
- The Yo-Yo Test and Dexa will help ensure that only fully fit players are selected for the national team.
What is DEXA Test?
- DEXA, or dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry, is a method of determining bone mineral density using spectral imaging.
- Two X-ray beams at different energy levels are directed at the bone, and the resulting chart shows the current bone density and mineral content of the bone.
Why is DEXA Test Important for Injured Players Making a Return?
- The DEXA Test is important for injured players aiming to return to the Indian national team because it can help determine their bone strength and mineral density.
- When players are injured, their bone mineral density can decrease significantly.
- The DEXA Test can be used as a precautionary measure to ensure that injured players are fully fit and not at risk of re-injury when they return to the team.
What is Yo-Yo Test?
- The Yo-Yo test is a fitness test that is used to measure a person’s endurance. It involves running back and forth between two cones placed 20 meters apart.
- The speed at which the person runs increases over time, and the test is stopped when the person is unable to keep up with the required speed. The Yo-Yo test is often used in sports to evaluate the endurance of athletes, and it is particularly popular in soccer.
- The test has also been used by other sports teams, including the Indian cricket team.
The implementation of the Yo-Yo Test and Dexa by the BCCI is a proactive measure to ensure the fitness and health of Indian players. By only selecting fully fit players, the team hopes to avoid the injury struggles of the past year and compete at the highest level. The Yo-Yo Test and Dexa will be important tools for the team as they prepare for the 2023 ODI World Cup.
Category: Sports Current Affairs