US Population increases by 7.4%
The Central Bureau of the United States recently announced that the population of the United States has increased by 7.4%. This is the second slowest growth of US Population since the Great Depression.
The Census Bureau recently released the first set of data on US population. The complete demographic data of the country is expected to be released by August 2021. Based on this, the 1.5 trillion USD federal funds will be distributed to the local communities across the country.
- The population of the United States increased to 331,449,281 in 2020. This is 7.4% increase and the second slowest in the history of US.
- The allocation of seats to the US Congress is based on the census.
- The recently released data shows that migration in the US has been increasing lately. For instance, New York and California have lost a Congressional seat each. So did Pennsylvania and New York.
- On the other hand, Montana, Florida and North Carolina have seen enough growth to add a congressional seat.
- Texas received two additional seats. Colorado and Oregon gained new seats.
- The 2010 census showed the US population is shifting towards the South and the west.
How are the seats allocated in the US Congress?
US Congress has two chambers. One is the House of Representatives and the other is the Senate. There are fifty states in the US. Each state elects two senators for a period of six years. The US is divided into 435 congressional districts. A region is made district when it reaches a population of 750,000 and will receive a representative.
Each district elects a representative to the House of Representatives for a period of two years. When the threshold population decreases then the district will lose its representation at the House of Representation. For instance, in the recent US Census 2020, New York lost a house seat as it had 89 people short to the threshold of 750,000.
Women in the US Congress
In 2021, around 142 women are to hold seats in the US Congress. This is 26.5% of 535 members. Around 24% women serve at the US Senate and 27.1% serve in the US House of Representatives.
The first US Census was held in 1790.
What is the system in India?
- In India, each state is allotted with a particular number of seats in the Lok Sabha in such a way that the ratio between the Number of representatives from the state and its overall population is uniform throughout the country.
- Each state is divided into constituencies based on the fact that the ratio between the population of each constituency and the number of seats is uniform throughout the state.
China population grew at 0.53%
The annual population of China has slowed during the decade. This has put the demographic dividend o...
US passes bill to fight hate crimes against Asian Americans
The US Senate recently passed a bill to help combat the rise of hate crimes against the Pacific Isla...
Statehood Movement in Columbia
The House of Representatives in the US recently passed a bill to make Washington DC, the fifty first...
US House passes No Ban Act
The US House of Representatives recently passed a bill that will limit the ability of the President ...
Endangered Irrawaddy dolphins count increase in Chilika Lake
The Chilika Development Authority and the State Wildlife Wing recently carried out an annual dolphin...
Category: International Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|