US, Pakistan sign NATO Supply Agreement
US, Pakistan signed NATO Supply Agreement on transporting supplies for NATO troops in Afghanistan through Pakistan.
As per the agreement, the US will give $ 1.1 billion aid to Pakistan for fighting terrorists within its borders. The agreement will expire by the end of 2015.
Core of the agreement:
- Bars Transportation of arms and ammunition for NATO/ISAF in Afghanistan via Pakistan
- Allows Arms shipments and equipment for training of Afghan security forces
- NATO tankers to use routes from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan
- No tax or duty on the containers. Commercial carriers will have to pay a fee.
- Pakistan will ensure the security and speedy transfer of cargo while engaging with the US authority
- Containers travelling to Afghanistan will be bound to return via Pakistan
- The Defence Ministry which will function as a central coordination authority will review daily operations and other matters related to the supply routes
- 2 monitoring offices for NATO supplies to be established at the Defence Ministry and the US embassy