US Navy hands over MH-60R multi role helicopters to India
United States Navy has handed over first two MH-60R Multi Role Helicopters (MRH) to Indian Navy, further strengthening the India-US defence relationship.
- Indian Navy is procuring 24 of MH-60R helicopters manufactured by Lockheed Martin.
- Helicopters are being procured under foreign military sales from US at an estimated cost of USD 2.4 billion.
- Indian Cabinet had cleared purchase of these helicopters from USA in February 2020 before historic visit of then US President Donald Trump.
- First batch of Indian crew is currently undergoing training in US.
- These helicopters are considered as world’s most advanced maritime helicopter.
Significance of Procurement of MH-60R helicopter
Induction of MH-60R helicopters would enhance three-dimensional capabilities of Indian Army. Helicopters would be modified with several unique equipment and weapons. It will provide India with capability to perform anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare missions. India would also be able to perform secondary missions like vertical replenishment, search & rescue and communications relay. India will use enhanced capability as deterrent against regional threats and to strengthen its homeland defence.
India-U.S. Defence Relations
India-U.S. Defence Relations has increased steadily since 2008. Defence trade has increased from U.S.$ 1 billion to U.S.$ 18 billion. United States is the second largest arms supplier to India, after Russia. India has procured- C-130 Hercules aircraft, P-8 Poseidon aircraft, C-17 Globemaster aircraft, AH-64 Apache helicopters, CH-47 Chinook helicopters and M777 Howitzer guns. USA also granted “unique Major Defence Partner (MDP)” designation to India in 2016 and Strategic Trade Authorisation-1 (STA-1) status in 2018. India became 37th country globally and third Asian country (after South Korea and Japan) to acquire STA-1 status.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
Category: International Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|