Union Government unveils National Mineral Exploration Policy
The Union Government has unveiled National Mineral Exploration Policy (NMEP), 2016 for adaptation of comprehensive exploration of non-fuel and non-coal mineral resources.
It was unveiled by the Union Minister of Steel and Mines Narendra Singh Tomar at National conclave on mines and minerals at Raipur in Chhattisgarh.
Key Highlights of NMEP, 2016
- Aims to bring together best of knowledge and experience, modern technology, trained manpower and financial resources on a collaborative platform.
- Uncover full mineral potential of the country in order to put the nation’s mineral resources (non-fuel and non-coal) to best use and maximize sectoral contribution to economy.
- Emphasizes on making available baseline geoscientific data of world standards in the public domain, quality research in a public-private partnership (PPP).
- Pave way for the special initiatives for search of deep-seated and concealed mineral deposits.
- Undertake quick aerogeophysical surveys of country and creation of dedicated geoscience database etc.
- The Union Ministry of Mines will carry out auctioning of identified exploration blocks for exploration by private sector.
- Auctioning will be done on the revenue sharing basis in case their exploration leads to auctionable resources. The revenue will be borne by the successful bidder of those auctionable blocks.
- Gives emphasis to use of space technology to check illegal mining by developing a mining surveillance system.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2016