UJALA and SLNP schemes complete six years
The UJALA (Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All) and SLNP (Street Lighting National Programme) completed six years of successful implementation. The two programmes revamped household and public lighting system across the country.
What are the achievements of UJALA in six years?
- Under UJALA, the EESL distributed 6.69 crores of LED bulbs. It has installed more than 1.14 crores of LED street lights. This has helped to save more than 55.33-billion-kilowatt hour of energy per year.
- The scheme helped to reduce Greenhouse gas emissions by 38.59 million tonnes of carbon dioxide per year.
- The scheme distributed 72 lakhs of LED tube lights and 23 lakhs of energy efficient fans at affordable prices.
What are the achievements of SLNP in 6 years?
- The EESL installed more than 1.1 crores of LED street lights under SLNP. This helped to save 7.67-billion-kilowatt hour of energy per year.
- The scheme helped to reduce the greenhouse gas emission by 5.29 million tonnes of carbon dioxide per year.
- With the help of the scheme the municipalities were able to save 5,210 crores of Rupees in their electricity bills.
What are the awards received by the schemes?
- SAPIA, 2017 (South Asia Procurement Innovation Award) for innovative use of IT in SLNP
- CIO 100 in 2019
- Global Solid State Lighting Award for excellence in transformational contribution to LED sector
- CII National Award for Excellence in Energy Management, 2020
What are the overall achievement of the schemes?
- The schemes have helped in the growth of domestic LED markets.
- They have helped to bring down the average household electricity bills by 15%.
- The schemes have helped families to access better brightness in their homes and thereby improved their quality of life.
The SLNP has plans to bring investment of Rs 8,000 crores by 2024 to cover entire rural India. More than 30 million LED street lights are to be installed by EESL in coming years.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs