Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kolkata and INS Shakti along with long-range maritime patrol aircraft Poseidon-8I (P8I) are continuing are participating in the annual Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise 2019 SIMBEX-2019 scheduled from 16 May to 22 May 19.
It involves two phases: Harbour phase and Sea phase:
- Harbour phase involved various planning conferences, simulator-based warfare training/ wargaming, courtesy calls to dignitaries of RSNnavy, sporting events and deck reception onboard Kolkata.
- The sea phase conducted in the South China Sea involves various maritime combat exercises such as firing on aerial/ surface targets, advanced aerial tracking, coordinated targeting exercises and tactical exercises on surface/ air scenarios.
- SIMBEX was instituted in 1993. Since then it has grown in tactical and operational complexity.
- It is an annual bilateral exercise.
- It has evolved from traditional anti-submarine exercises to more complex maritime exercises such as advanced air defence operations, anti-air/ surface practice firings, tactical exercises, etc.
In SIMBEX 2019, Singapore side will be represented by RSN ships Steadfast and Valiant, maritime patrol aircraft Fokker-50 (F-50) and F-16 fighter aircraft.