Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prizes 2019
President of India Ram Nath Kovind, presented Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prizes 2019, for outstanding contributions in science and technology at a function held at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi. The awards were presented on the occasion of the 78th Foundation Day of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
- Biological Sciences winners: Dr. Kayarat Sai Krishnan (Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune); Dr. Soumen Basak (National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi)
- Chemical Sciences: · Dr. Raghavan B Sunoj (IIT, Bombay); Dr. Tapas Kumar Maji (Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bengaluru)
- Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean and Planetary Sciences: Dr. Subimal Ghosh (IIT, Bombay)
- Engineering Sciences: Manik Varma (Microsoft Research India, Bengaluru)
- Mathematical Sciences: Dr. Dishant Mayur Bhai Pancholi (Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai), Dr. Nina Gupta (Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata)
- Medical Sciences: Dr. Dheeraj Kumar (International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi), Dr. Mohammad Javed Ali (LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad)
- Physical Sciences: Dr. Aninda Sinha (IISc, Bengaluru), Dr. Shankar Ghosh (TIFR, Mumbai)
About Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar (SSB) Awards
It is the highest multidisciplinary science awards in India. It recognizes outstanding Indian work in science and technology.
This prestigious science award is presented annually by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) for notable and outstanding research, applied/fundamental, in environmental science, biology, mathematics, Physics, chemistry, engineering, and medicine.
This most coveted award is named after the founder Director of CSIR, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar. It was 1st awarded in 1958.
Award Comprises of: a citation, a plaque, and cash prize of Rs.5 lakh. In addition, recipients also receive Rs.15,000/month up to age of 65 years.
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News