National Telecom Policy 2012 gets Cabinet approval
NTP 2012 aims at:
- Abolishing roaming charges on mobile phones
- Allow users to hold the same number across the country without paying any extra charge
- Delinking spectrum allocation from Licensing
- Increasing Tele-density in rural areas
- NTP mentions Cloud computing, Next-Generation Networks, IPV6 and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) as thrust areas of future technologies.
The policy also allows national number portability, but again, with no visible timelines.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2012