NASA's Exoplanet Mission Finds 1st Earth-Size Alien World
The Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) Mission of NASA has discovered its first Earth-size alien world.
About the Discovery
- The planet, HD 21749c, is about 89 per cent of Earth’s diameter.
- The planet orbits HD 21749, a K-type star with about 70 per cent of the Sun’s mass located 53 light years away in the southern constellation Reticulum.
- HD 21749c is the second planet TESS has identified in the system.
- HD 21749c is the 10th confirmed planet discovered by TESS, and hundreds of additional candidates are now being studied.
- HD 21749c doesn’t seem to have good life-hosting potential as it circles its host star very tightly, completing one orbit every 7.8 Earth days, and is therefore probably quite hot.
TESS which was launched just about a year ago is already a game-changer in the planet-hunting business. TESS total tally is likely to end up topping that of Kepler has found about 70% of the 4,000 exoplanets discovered to date.
Utopia Planitia of Mars
The Chinese Mission to Mars Tianwen 1 recently landed in the Utopia Planitia. It is the place where ...
Voyager 1 detects persistent hum
The Voyager 1 probe recently picked up humming sound. The scientists have named this as “Plasma Wa...
NASA-Axiom: First Private Astronaut Mission to Space Station
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) recently signed an agreement with Axiom Spa...
OSIRIS-REx: NASA Spacecraft starts journey to Earth
The NASA Spacecraft called the “Osiris-Rex” has started a two year long journey back to the eart...
India participates in the third Arctic Science Ministerial
The Ministry of Earth Science recently announced that India participated in the Arctic Science Minis...
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|