Ladakh to get India’s first Geothermal Power Project
The first geothermal power project of India will be established at Puga village of eastern Ladakh.
- This decision was taken because, Puga village was identified as the hotspot of geothermal energy by the scientists.
- The project will be completed in four phases.
- A tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to establish and implement the first phase was signed on 6th February, 2021 between ONGC Energy; LAHDC, Leh and the Power Department of UT Ladakh
- This geothermal project is known as Geothermal Field Development Project.
- It will be commission by the end of 2022.
First phase of project
- The first phase of the project will result into the generation of one megawatt (MW) power.
- In the first phase, the pilot project will be implemented by the ONGC-OEC.
- ONGC-OEC will explore within the depth of 500 metres.
- Under the first phase, it was planned that 24 hours free power supply would be given to 10 neighbouring villages which are not connected with the northern grid to get the power.
Second Phase of the project
- In the second phase, deeper and lateral exploration of geothermal reservoirs will be done by drilling the optimal number of wells.
- Under this phase, higher capacity demo plant will also be set up in Ladakh.
- This phase of the project will be the Research and Development stage or demonstration of the project.
Third phase of the project
- Under the third phase, joint ventures and commercial projects will be promoted.
In the Puga Village, scientists have discovered a potential of more than 100 mw of geothermal energies. It lies in the south-eastern part of Ladakh. The village is a part of the Himalayan geothermal belt. The region has shown the evidence of geothermal activity in various form including the mud pools, hot springs, sulphur deposits and borax deposits. The talk of the potential geothermal project in the Puja Village has been into news since 2008. The region has the potential to produce about 40% of the energy requirements.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|