Khelo India: Six Centre of Excellence approved by Ministry of Sports
The Ministry of Sports has approved 6 Khelo India Centres of Excellence in six different states. Khelo India centre of excellence is an initiative of the Sports Ministry to upgrade the existing sports infrastructure in all states and Union Territories. The ministry has announced a financial support of over 64 crore to upgrade these six Khelo India centres.
The aim of creating these Khelo India excellence centres is to create a strong and healthy sports ecosystem in the country.
Khelo India Centre of Excellence Approved by Ministry of Sports
The names of the six Khelo India Centre of Excellence approved by the Ministry of Sports along with financial support extended to them is as follows-
- States Sports Academy, Sarusajai, Assam with a financial support of Rs 7.96 crore.
- J N S Complex, Shillong, Meghalaya with a financial support of Rs 8.39 crore
- New Sports Complex Silvassa, Daman & Diu with a financial support of Rs 8.05 crore.
- MP State Academy, Madhya Pradesh with a financial support of 19 crore.
- Shree Shivchhatrapati Sports Complex, Balewadi, Pune with a financial support of 16 crore.
- Paljor Stadium, Gangtok, Sikkim with a financial support of Rs 7.91 crore.
- Each Khelo India centre of excellence will provide world-class training in a specific sport and will become the main training facility of the particular sport across the country. Elite players of a particular sport will provide training at these centres.
- Each Khelo-India centre will be given support for 14 Olympic sports and each state and UT will be provided financial support for maximum three sports.
While speaking about the initiative, Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Kiren Rijiju said that the creation of these excellence centres is an attempt of the government to come closer to its objective of bringing India in top 10 countries in Olympics 2028.
Category: Sports Current Affairs