Kamalam: Gujarat renames Dragon Fruit
The Gujarat Government is to patent the Dragon Fruit in the name of “Kamalam”. Kamalam is also the name of the BJP state party headquarters in Gujarat.
- The Dragon fruit is a cactus variety fruit. It is widely cultivated in South east Asia, United States, Australia, India, Caribbean islands and Mesoamerica.
- The total lifespan of a Dragon fruit plant is fifteen to twenty years. They grow in regions where summer temperatures rise above forty degrees Celsius.
- Dragon Fruits grow only during summers. They do not grow in the rest of the year. However, when they grow their growth is rapid.
- Dragon flowers bloom only at night. It occurs only once in a year. They rely on nocturnal pollinators such as moths and bats for fertlization.
Dragon Fruit Cultivation and Demands in India
India imports 95% of its Dragon fruit from Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Sri Lanka. The Dragon Fruit has great export potentials to countries such as USA, Gulf and European. The farmers in the states of Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka have taken up Dragon Fruit Cultivation only in the recent years.
Vietnam is the largest producer and exporter of Dragon Fruit. The fruit was brought here by the French.
- The Dragon Fruit plants are raised on poles. One pole can support four plants. In an acre, more than 300 poles can be installed. Commercial planting is highly beneficial as they can be planted in clusters. Thus space consumption in dragon fruit cultivation is very minimal.
- They will require only one to two litres of water per day. This can easily be achieved through drip irrigation.
- Also, Dragon fruits fetch good rates. They are sold for Rs 300 to Rs 400 per kilogram.
- In India, Dragon fruits are consumed for their taste and health benefits.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|