JUICE: Jupiter Icy Moon Explorer of European Space Agency
The Jupiter Icy Moon Explorer of the European Space Agency recently entered into a critical sequence of tests.
About Jupiter Icy Moon Explorer
- It is called JUICE.
- It is an interplanetary spacecraft developed by European Space Agency. It is under its development phase.
- The main contractor of the mission is Airbus Defence and Space.
- The JUICE Mission will study three Galilean Moon of Jupiter. They are Europa, Ganymede and Callisto.
- All these three moons have significant amount of water beneath their surfaces.
- The spacecraft is to be launched in June 2022.
- It will reach Jupiter in October 2029.
- It will reach Jupiter after five gravity assists. Gravity Assists is the use of the gravity of other planet or astronomical object to increase speed of a spacecraft or to alter its path. This is done to save the propellant and reduce expenses.
- Detailed investigation of Ganymede and evaluate its potential to support life.
- Characterisation of ocean layers
- Detection of putative subsurface water reservoirs
- Geological and Topographical compositional mapping of the surface
- Study of physical properties of the icy crusts
- Investigation of Ganymede’s atmosphere. Study about its magnetic field.
It will carry the following science instruments:
- JANUS: Jovis, Amorum ac Natorum Undique Scrutator
- MAJIS: Moons and Jupiter Imaging Spectrometer
- UVS: UV Imaging Spectrograph
- GALA: Ganymede Laser Altimeter
- RIME: Radar for Icy Moons Exploraiton
- JUICE Magnetometer
- PEP: Particle Environment Package
- RPWI: Radio and Plasma Wave Investigation
- PRIDE: Planetary Radio Inferometer and Doppler Experiment
The Mission will encounter three planets and the moon before arriving Jupiter. They are the Venus, Earth and its moon, Mars, Jupiter, Ganymede, Callisto and Europa.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2021
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|