J&K Biodiversity Council
The Jammu and Kashmir government recently set up a 10-member biodiversity council. It will document the biodiversity of the union territory.
- The council will maintain a Peoples Biodiversity Register (PBR) with the help of representatives from local governance bodies.
- The biodiversity council will function in consultation with National Biodiversity Authority, as per an order issued by General Administration Department (GAD).
- The process to maintain a Peoples Biodiversity Register will be initiated in every Panchayat and municipal committee.
- The work conducted by the biodiversity council will be monitored by the bio-diversity committees at three levels –
- National Biodiversity Authority Headquartered
- J&K Bio-Diversity Council
- Panchayat and Urban Local Bodies (ULBs)
- The committees will be set up in all the Panchayats and Urban Local Bodies except for the seven ULB’s in Kashmir that have remained unfilled due to “certain reasons.”
- The biodiversity council comprises 10 members.
- It includes five ex-officio members and five non-official members.
- The council beheaded by the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests of Jammu and Kashmir, Mohit Gera.
- Jammu and Kashmir’s Forest Research Institute Director will serve as the member secretary of the council.
- The other members of the council include the chief wildlife warden, a Forest Department representative and others.
- The non-official members of the council include former IFS officers – Dr. CM Seth, Dr Sushi Verma, Dr. Anzar Khuroo, Dr Om Prakash Sharma and professor Geeta Sumbli. The term of the non-official members of the council will be for a period of three years.
Jammu and Kashmir Biodiversity Council Fund
The Bio-Diversity Council comprise a fund after the concurrence of the Finance department, which is known as “Jammu and Kashmir Biodiversity Council Fund”. All the fees, charges and benefit-sharing amount received by the Council will be credited to the fund.
Category: States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|