J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister for sixth time
Ms. J Jayalalithaa has sworn in as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for record sixth time after winning 2016 state assembly election with absolute majority.
State Governor Dr.K. Rosaiah administered the oath of office and secrecy to her at oath taking ceremony held at the Centenary Auditorium, Madras University. Besides, Governor also administered oath of office and secrecy to the 28 ministers of her government.
This is J Jayalalithaa’s second consecutive term as chief minister and sixth overall. She is the second female Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu after Janaki Ramachandran.
About J Jayalalithaa
- J Jayalalithaa was born on 24 February 1948 in Mandya in then Mysore State (now in Karnataka).
- She was an actress before entering into active politics and appeared in 140 films which include Tamil, Telugu, and Kannada films.
- She was a leading actress in films from 1961 to 1980 and was famously considered as one of the most prolific and most versatile actress.
- She was also known for her dancing skills and was often referred as the uncrowned queen of Tamil cinema.
- Previously, she served as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu from 1991 to 1996 (1st time), in 2001 (2nd time), from 2002 to 2006 (3rd time), from 2011 to 2014 (4th time) and 2015 to 2016 (5th time).
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2016