Jal Shakti Ministry & UN tie-up for Jal Jeevan Mission
The Jal Shakti Ministry has signed a pact with the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and the government of Denmark on March 22, 2021 in order to bring the tap water connections to the 11 water-scarce districts of the Bundelkhand and Vindhya regions in Uttar Pradesh under the Jal Jeevan mission.
The project will comprise of the supports like capacity building, creation of village action plans, grassroot water quality monitoring methods and community mobilisation. All these supports will be facilitated by UNOPS. The project has set a million-dollar budget for the year 2021. However, the project will be scaled up in the year 2022.
Jal Jeevan Mission
This mission was launched on August 15, 2019. It is envisioned to provide safe and adequate drinking water by individual household tap connections. It seeks to provide the tap water connections to all the rural households across India by 2024. The programme also implements the source sustainability measures like recharge & reuse through the grey water management, rain water harvesting and water conservation as mandatory elements. The mission is based on the community approach of water. The key component of the mission also includes extensive Information, Education and communication.
Objectives of the Mission
The Jal Jeevan Mission was launched with the following objectives:
- Providing Functional Household Tap Connection (FHTC) to every rural household.
- Prioritizing the provision of FHTCs in quality affected areas, villages of the drought prone and desert areas etc.
- Providing functional tap connection across Anganwadi centres, Schools, Health centres, GP buildings, wellness centres and community buildings.
- Monitoring the functionality of tap water connections.
- Promoting and ensuring voluntary ownership across the local community by contributing in cash, kind or labour.
- Assisting in ensuring the sustainability of water supply system like water supply infrastructure, water source and funds.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|