India sets up Diplomatic Relations with Niue
India has signed a Joint Communiqué on the establishment of Diplomatic Relations b/w India and Niue.
- An island country in South Pacific Ocean.
- Member of regional bodies such as the Pacific Island Forum and the Pacific Community and also of UNESCO, WTO and FAO.
- Population of around 1400.
- Another name for Niue is ‘Rock of Polynesia’, and is located 2400 km northeast of New Zealand in a triangle b/w Tonga to the southwest, the Samoas to the northwest and the Cook Islands to the southeast.
- Since 2002, India has stepped up its cooperative relations with all nations in pacific island region.
- India always actively engaged as a ‘Dialogue Partner’ of the Pacific Island Forum (a regional group of Pacific Island countries).
- The country has always participated in assisting in the development of the island countries of the Pacific.
Why Nuie is known as a Wi-Fi Nation?
- The country is also known as the world’s first “Wi-Fi nation”, in which free wireless Internet access is provided throughout the country.
Topics: British Western Pacific Territories • Countries • Fao • Foreign relations of New Zealand • Island countries • Islands • Niue • Outline of Niue • Pacific Islands Forum • Polynesia • Small Island Developing States • Tonga