India to host meet of BRICS anti-narcotics heads
India is going to host meet of the heads of anti-narcotics agencies of BRICS nations to discuss issues related to narco-terrorism and money laundering.
This meet will be held ahead of the eighth annual Summit of BRICS (Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa nations scheduled in October 2016.
- The one-day meeting on July 8, 2016 will be hosted by Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
- The agenda of the high-level meeting is to take into consideration of illicit drug trafficking including diversion of precursors and chemicals, usage of new psychoactive substances.
- It will also take into consideration maritime drug trafficking, narco terrorism and drug money laundering.
- All BRICS member nations will discuss ways to enhance cooperation to effectively deal with these issues and keep an effective monitoring on illegal narcotics transport happening between these nations.
- They will also discuss various trends being observed in the last 5-6 years in these issues and may sign a joint accord at conclusion of the meet.
- India has taken over the BRICS Chairmanship for the year 2016 for the second time after 2012. It will host the eighth annual Summit of the forum in Goa in October 2016.
- BRICS bloc comprising the five countries account for 42% of the world’s population and a combined GDP of over USD 16 trillion.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2016