"Incheon": The World Book Capital for 2015
International committee of experts representing the book industry and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) named the city of Incheon in the Republic of Korea as the World Book Capital for the year 2015.
The committee attributes the title to a city which has devoted itself to promote books and reading and also to highlight the vitality of literary creativity.
Ever year UNESCO and the international organizations represent the three major sectors of the book industry:
- International Publishers Association (IPA)
- International Booksellers Federation (IBF)
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
Why Incheon was chosen?
- Incheon was chosen on the basis of the quality of its programme and the impact it will have on improving good integration of all stakeholders in the promotion of books.
- There will be promotion of reading, access to books and writing in all formats to the citizens of Incheon and the Korean Peninsula.
The title is an acknowledgement of the best programme dedicated to books and reading and doesn’t involve any financial prize.
Incheon is the 15th city to be chosen as World Book Capital. Yerevan, Bangkok and Port Harcourt which are the World Book Capital for the year 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2013