Fact Sheet: Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly Election, 2018
Madhya Pradesh Legislative Assembly Election, 2018 was held on 28 November 2018 in a single phase. The election resulted in win of Indian National Congress and consequently, senior congress leader Kamal Nath was selected to be Chief Minister of the state.
Structure of Legislature of Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh has a unicameral legislature and thus has only one house called Vidhan Sabha or Legislative Assembly, located in Bhopal, the state capital. The current strength of Madhya Pradesh Assembly is 231 members (230 elected and 1 nominated). To form a government, a party or coalition needs 115 seats in the house.
Current composition of Madhya Pradesh Vidhan Sabha
The recent election was held for 230 seats of the state. The seat composition is as follows:
- INC (114)
- BSP (2)
- SP (1)
- Independents (4)
- BJP (109)
- Others (1)
- Nominated (1)
Past Chief Ministers
The current state of Madhya Pradesh came into existence after its reorganization on 1 November 1956 from erstwhile Madhya Bharat, Vindhya Pradesh and Bhopal State.
- So far, 17 people have served as Chief Minister of the state, of which 11 belonged to Indian National Congress.
- The first Chief Minister of the state was Ravishankar Shukla who remains in office for only 60 days.
- Govind Narayan Singh (1967-1969) was the first non-congress Chief Minister of the state.
- The first chief minister to complete two full five year terms was Digvijay Singh.
- The first and only female Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh was Uma Bharti who served between 2003 and 2004.
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan is the longest serving Chief Minister of the state with 13 years in office from 2005 to 2018.
Current Chief Minister
Veteran Congress Leader Kamal Nath is one of the longest serving and most senior members of the Lok Sabha. He has been elected for nine times from Chhindwara Lok Sabha constituency of Madhya Pradesh. He has served as Union Minister in various capacities under Manmohan Singh Government and has held portfolios of Commerce and Industry ministry, Textiles Ministry, Environment and Forests Ministry, Road Transport and Highways Ministry and Ministry of Urban Development.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|