EC Launches Voter Verification and Information Programme
Keeping in mind the upcoming Lok Sabha election 2019, the Election Commission of India (ECI) has launched the Voter Verification and Information Programme (VVIP) so that citizens can verify their names, new registrations, changes in the voter details and check corrections in the voter ID cards. A 2-days Training-cum-Workshop on the use of Information & Communication Technology for the conduct of General Elections 2019 was held in New Delhi where the ECI launched the VVIP.
About the New Programme
The ECI has encapsulated the following features in its new programme –
- A voter helpline number has been launched – 1950
- Various channels for the programme and contact centres in all districts have been launched
- There will be latest information and telecom infrastructure to help the callers in the contact centres and the channels
- The cVIGIL, Voter Helpline and PwD Apps were also launched
cVIGIL, Voter Helpline and PwD App
In the training the cVIGIL and PwD Apps were launched –
- Time-stamped proof of the model code of conduct or expenditure violations along with photo or video and auto location data will be provided by the cVIGIL app. Citizens can put in their complaints and grievances through this app. Flying Squads will then investigate the matter and decision will be taken by the Returning Officer.
- The Voter Helpline App will make it easier for all citizens to find their names in electoral rolls, submit online forms, check application status, file complaints and receive the reply on the app.
- The PwD or Persons with Disabilities App has been launched through which a person can request for new registration, change in address, change in particulars and mark themselves as PwD. Only the contact details of the person needs to be entered and the Returning Officer will provide doorstep service. They can also request for a wheelchair during voting in the polling-booth.
India is the world’s biggest democracy and as the country heads for a crucial 2019 Lok Sabha election it is important that the people’s participation increases in the electoral process. The Election Commission of India which was formed on 25 January 1950 (hence the voter helpline number) is trying to boost up democratic inclusivity in the nation. With the inclusion of benefits extended to the Divyangjans or PwDs in the electoral process, the ECI is trying to provide the people the Right to Vote. Also the ECI has tried to ease up the process of registering complaints of voters through the cVIGIL App and make their lives easier by introducing the Voter Helpline App to verify their forms.
What is Digital Voter ID Card?
Digital voter ID card is the electronic form of EPIC or Elector’s Photo Identity Card. This would ...
Bihar Election: Election Commission of India announces results
On November 11, 2020, the Election commission of India announced election results for the state of B...
US Elections: How does US count its votes? Why is it taking so long?
The United States 59th Quadrennial Presidential Election was held on November 3, 2020. However, the ...
International Virtual Election Visitors Programme organized by Election Commission of India
The Election Commission of India is to organize a three-day International Virtual Election Visitors ...
Election Commission sets up panel to revise Expenditure Limit for candidates
On October 21, 2020, Election Commission constituted a committee under Harish Kumar, the former dire...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|