‘Conclave on Transformational Reforms in Higher Education under National Education Policy’: Highlights
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave the inaugural address at the Conclave of Transformational Reforms in Higher Education under National Educational Policy. This conclave has been organized by the Ministry of Education along with the University Grants Commission. The conclave has been organized through video-conferencing by the Prime Minister.
The objective of the Conclave
The main objective of the conclave is to throw light on various aspects of the new education policy so that all can contribute to the implementation of the New Educational Policy. The National Education Policy 2020 has been designed in order to keep the next and current generations future-ready.
National Education Policy 2020
The salient features of the NEP are:
- The current system of 10+2 has been changed to 5+3+3+4 curricular structure corresponding to the ages 3-8, 8-11, 11-14 and 14-18 years respectively.
- The policy aims at 100% Gross Enrolment Ratio by the year 2030 in school education.
- Teachers will also be recruited as per the new guidelines and in this regard, a new and comprehensive National Curriculum Framework for Teacher Education 2021 will also be formulated.
- Teaching up to Grade 5 will be in the mother tongue and regional language.
- Multidisciplinary courses will be encouraged in the country.
- Continuous evaluation will be encouraged.
- National Assessment Centre – PARAKH has been created in order to assess the students from the primary level.
- The public investments in the education sector will be increased to 6% of the GDP at the earliest.
Previous National Education Policy 1986
The last National Education Policy 1986 was introduced by the Rajiv Gandhi and it called for a ‘child-centred approach’. This policy started the ‘Operation Blackboard’ in the country to improve primary education nationwide. It also improved the online education system in the country by establishing the Indira Gandhi National Open University.
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|