BRICS countries adopt Counter Terrorism Strategy
On November 17, 2020, during the 12th BRICS Summit, the members adopted counter terrorism strategy. The main objective of the strategy is to deal with terrorism.
The Counter Terrorism Strategy is based on the following principles
- Respect sovereignty of participating countries
- Commit to international laws
- Recognize coordinating role of the United Nations
- Consider member countries’ priorities and national interests
- Adopt comprehensive approach to combat terrorism
The goals adopted in the strategy are as follows
- Implement United Nations Security Council resolutions.
- To broaden counter terrorism operations with G20 and FATF
- To counter global threats based on UN Charter
- To increase information sharing about terrorist organisations as listed by the UNSC
Counter Terrorism Working Group
The BRIS Counter Terrorism Working Group implement the strategy. The major sub-working groups of the group are terrorist financing, capacity-building, countering radicalization, use of internet for terrorist purposes and issues of foreign terrorist fighters.
The BRICS countries adopted the Brasilia Declaration at the 11th BRICS summit (2019) that was held in Brasilia. The declaration condemned terrorism in all its forms. According to the declaration, the two main pillars of terrorism are ideology and finances. The Brasilia Declaration focuses on the following
- Key issues such as anti-money laundering and countering financial terrorism
- To reaffirm the importance of establishing legal frameworks
- The declaration affirms that BRICS nations will not give legitimacy to any countries spreading terrorism. China’s compliance to this part of declaration is important to India because of China’s closeness to Pakistan.
Terrorism in India
Among the BRICS countries, India is the most affected by terrorism. ISIS is the new emerging threat in India as several youngsters are joining ISIS modules.
Terrorism in China
In China, the Xinjian autonomous region is plagued with terrorism problems.
Terrorism in Russia
The Chechnya region of Russia is the most affected due to terrorism.
Category: International Current Affairs