All India Survey on Domestic Workers kick-started
Union Labour Minister, Bhupender Yadav, started India’s first survey of domestic workers on November 22, 2021.
- The survey of domestic workers is latest among a group of five national jobs enumeration campaigns, launched with the aim of discerning data on vast informal workforce in India.
- India’s informal workforce will feed a forthcoming national employment policy in the third-largest economy in Asia.
Why this survey was launched?
Domestic workers are considered to be a million strong. However, there is little official information available on their actual numbers & parameters, such as their work conditions and average pay. Lack of these data leaves them out from any formal policy that governs India’s informal workers. Thus, this survey was launched to fill this gap and offer “time-series data on domestic workers. This survey will be conducted periodically to provide crucial data for national employment policy, which is being planned by government.
All India Survey on Domestic Workers
All India Survey on Domestic Workers will provide a headcount of domestic workers and their employers based on nationwide household survey. Under it, specific features of domestic work like living conditions, their employment relationships, will be looked at extensively.
Annual Survey conducted by Labour Bureau
India’s first survey of domestic workers is part of five other annual surveys conducted by Labour Bureau. These are:
- All-India Survey of Migrant Workers.
- All-India Survey of Domestic Workers.
- All-India Survey of Employment Generated by Professionals.
- All-India Survey of Employment Generated in the Transport Sector.
- All-India Quarterly Establishment-based Employment Survey (AQEES).
Labour Bureau had released the results of first All-India Quarterly Establishment-based Employment Survey (AQEES), in September 2021, for April-June 2021 quarter.
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|