18th meeting of IRIGC-MTC held in New Delhi
The Indian Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman recently met Russian Defence Minister General Sergei Shoigu at the 18th meeting of the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) that was held in New Delhi.
Important Highlights of the 18th Meeting of IRIGC-MTC:
- In the meeting, a wide range of issues were discussed regarding defence equipment, industry and technological cooperation between India and Russia.
- Issues related to after sales support and upgradation of military equipment of Russian origin were also discussed.
- Both the Ministers has expressed heir satisfaction at the progress in bilateral defence cooperation between India and Russia.
- Discussions took place on joint manufacturing projects in the meeting, including the Kamov-226T helicopters, naval frigates and other projects related to land systems.
- There was also an agreement from both the sides to take forward inter-governmental arrangements to facilitate joint .manufacturing of spares for equipments of Russian origin in India, under the ‘Make in India’ scheme.
- The existing IRIGC-MTC will be restructured to the IRIGC on Military and Military Technical Cooperation. An agreement regarding this was signed by the two Defence Ministers.
Russia has been the most important arms supplier for India’s Defence forces. Both the countries have an institutionalized structure to oversee all the issues of military-technical cooperation. The IRIGC is at the top of this institutionalized structure. The India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) was set up in 2000. The First meeting of the IRIGC-MTC was held in Moscow in 2001. The 19th IRIGC meeting is proposed to be held in Russia next year.
Japan proposes alternatives to Suez Canal
In April 2021, a container ship called “Ever Given” blocked the Suez Canal. This stopped more th...
Endangered seals found dead on Russia’s Caspian coast
More than one hundred and seventy seals were washed up dead over the shores of Caspian Sea in Russia...
International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day: April 26
Every year on April 26, the International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day is being observed. The ...
Russia’s central bank increases interest rates
The Central Bank of Russia has increased the interest rate from 4.5% to 5%. ContentsWhy did the Bank...
Top 5 Current Affairs Questions on La Perouse
India will be joining a French naval exercise in the Bay of Bengal this month. It is the first Frenc...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|