Assam Promotes Pipe Composting
In Assam, a sustainable and straightforward solution for managing biodegradable waste at the household level is gaining momentum. The state is actively endorsing pipe composting, a technology that efficiently converts organic waste into compost, particularly in its rural communities. This eco-friendly initiative is making a significant impact on waste management practices.
Pipe Composting in Biswanath District
The district water and sanitation committee in Assam’s Biswanath district has been championing the cause of pipe composting, especially in schools, for managing biodegradable waste generated during midday meals. This environmentally friendly method has proven to be a viable and efficient way to handle organic waste.
How Pipe Composting Works
Step 1: Installation
- Pipe composting involves the use of PVC pipes, which are placed vertically in the ground.
Step 2: Waste Collection
- Only biodegradable waste, such as leftover food, fruit and vegetable peels, flowers, dung, agricultural waste, among others, is disposed of into these pipes.
Step 3: Accelerating Decomposition
- Every two weeks, a mixture of cow dung and dry leaves, along with water, is added to the pipes to accelerate the growth of decomposing organisms.
Step 4: Protection from Rainwater
- It’s essential to keep the pipes closed to prevent rainwater from entering.
Step 5: Compost Harvest
- After approximately two months, the composted manure is ready for harvest. This is achieved by lifting the pipe.
Benefits of Pipe Composting
- Efficient Waste Conversion: Pipe composting swiftly transforms biodegradable waste into valuable manure without causing harm to the environment.
- Hygienic School Environment: This method helps schools maintain cleanliness and hygiene within their campuses.
- Odorless and Fly-Proof: Pipe composting is odorless and effectively keeps flies at bay.
- Space Efficiency: The system is designed to make the most of available space.
- Sustainability: The same pipes can be reused, making the system sustainable and cost-effective.
- Educational Opportunity: Pipe composting offers students a chance to learn about the science and ecology of decomposition, the role of microorganisms and invertebrates, and the significance of responsible waste management and sustainability.
Category: States Current Affairs