ASEAN India Hackathon-Key Highlights
The Union Education Minister, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ addressed the ASEAN India Hackathon.
- Shri Pokhriyal highlighted that, The ASEAN-INDIA Hackathon was inaugurated to further strengthen the India and ASEAN ties.
- The background of the India-ASEAN hackathon lies in the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s call during the India-Singapore hackathon in the year 2019.
- The minister highlighted that the ASEAN-India hackathon will provide a unique opportunity to India and ASEAN countries to solve their common identified challenges.
- The common challenges of the countries are categorized under two themes namely the “Blue Economy” and “Education”.
- The hackathon provides an opportunity to take forward the economic and cultural ties of both ASEAN and India through their collaboration in education, science and technology.
- The hackathon will help in the enactment of six fundamental virtues of our civilisation namely, dialogue, respect, peace, cooperation, prosperity and innovation.
The background and the foundation of the India-ASEAN relations lies in the shared beliefs, religions, and culture. India is the largest democratic and the demographic country of the region. Thus, it becomes India can lead the ASEAN community. In that line, India has extended its support to ASEAN countries by providing COVID-19 vaccines. India and ASEAN also share the strong academic and research ties. Various Indian universities such as IIT-Delhi and Tezpur University host students from the ASEAN partner countries. India also launched 1000 ASEAN PhD Fellowships for ASEAN citizens. Further, the National Education Policy 2020 will also bring opportunities for India as well the entire world.
The ASEAN-INDIA Hackathon initiative is undertaken by the Ministry of Education. In the year 2021, the hackathon is being organized online from February 1 to 3, 2021. The hackathon will offer new opportunities for all the 10 ASEAN countries and India to strengthen their economic and cultural ties by collaborating into the fields of education, science and technology.