400th Birth Anniversary of Lachit Barphukan
Chief Minister of Assam recently released the theme song for 400th birth anniversary celebration of the Lachit Barphukan.
Who is Lachit Barphukan?
Lachit Borphukan, born on November 24, 1622, was a commander and Bophukan (councillor) in the Ahom Kingdom, which reigned present-day Assam for over 600 years while successfully resisting the Mughal Empire. Borphukan is known for his leadership in the 1671 Battle of Saraighat, which prevented the Mughal forces from invading the Ahom Kingdom. He passed away a year later because of illness.
Celebration of 400th birth anniversary of Lachit Borphukan
- The Assam government is planning to celebrate the 400th birth anniversary of the Ahom general from November 18 to 25 this year.
- On November 18, a march-past parade will be conducted by Assam Police, Indian Army, Paramilitary Forces, Indian Navy and Air Force personnel and National Cadet Corps in each district.
- The government is also taking efforts to beautify the Lachit Barphukan’s maidan in Jorhat and convert it into a tourist attraction.
- The theme song for the program, which was released recently, was composed by the famous singer Zubin Garg. This theme song pays tribute to the bravery and sacrifice of Lachit Barphukan and the importance of the celebration of Lachit Divas.
- As part of the celebrations, the Assam Government will take over 50 bighas of land from the local people on November 20. It will also provide Rs.12 crore as a mark of gratitude to people who have donated the land.
- Various activities like blood donation camp, tree plantation and cultural activities like drama performances, debates and extempore speech competitions will be organized during the celebrations.
- The central programme of the 400th birth anniversary of Lachit Barphukan will be organized in New Delhi from November 23 to 25. During the event, a documentary based on the life of the Ahom commander will be launched.