What is UNSC? What will be the impact if India get a permanent membership to the UNSC?
The United Nations Security Council is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations . It aims to maintain international peace and security. It establishes peacekeeping operations and authorizes military action through Security Council resolutions. It is the only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions to member states.
The Security Council consists of fifteen members. Russia, the United Kingdom, France, China, and the United States are its five permanent members. It also hasï¿½10 non-permanent members. India should be given a permanent membership to the UNSC because of the following reasons:
- India had been aï¿½member of G 20
- IAEA and NSG sanctified India as a responsible member of the nuclear community
- Indian cooperation can be used to counter IS by ï¿½soft powerï¿½ï¿½instead of bullets and bombs
- India can help to tackle Refugee crisis more efficiently
- India is a growing economic power and it has been participating in UN peacekeeping operation form years
Impacts of Permanent Membership:
- It will improve Indiaï¿½s global stature
- It will help India reach at comparable level with its rival China
- It will secure its neighbourhood from future combined interventions, if any
- The move will bring equality of treatment and be the natural leader of developing countries in Security Council
As of now China and Pakistan are opposing Indiaï¿½s claim of permanent membership. The structure of UNSC is very complex. For India to be permanent member, it needs theï¿½nod off 2/3rd of the general members with the support of P5 which requires an amendment to the UN charter act.
Topics: United Nations
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|