What is Institutes of Eminence Scheme? Explain in detail the criteria for selection of an IOE and its benefits for India.
Published: May 27, 2019
The human resource development ministry will increase half the number of educational establishments that can be tagged ï¿½institutes of eminenceï¿½. It will offer them greater autonomy.
Institutions of Eminence scheme
- The institutes of eminence scheme was launched under theï¿½Union human resource development (HRD) ministry
- It aims to project Indian institutes to global recognition
- The selected institutes will enjoyï¿½complete academic and administrative autonomy
- The government will run these and they will receive special funding
- Theï¿½selection shall be made by the Empowered Expert Committee constituted for the purpose
- Only higher education institutions currently placed in the top 500 of global rankings or top 50 of the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) are eligible to apply for the eminence tag
Benefits for Indian education institutes:
- Greater autonomy without having to report to the University Grants Commission (UGC)
- They would be able to admit foreign students and recruit faculty from abroad
- Great exposure to foreign education system
- Improvement in education system
India lacks world-class universities. Students also suffer an immense shortage of places in top academic institutions. The scheme will help Indian institutes to achieve heights in education sector.
Model Questions Category: 048 - Social Sector Services Education Human Resources