What are the critical issues being faced by Indian army in current times. Discuss while suggesting steps to tackle issues that should get highest priority.
Published: January 6, 2017
The issues which plague our Indian Army are as follows-
- Restoring the intrinsic strength of unity in the Indian army.
- Reignite the fervour of oneness in the “rank and file”.
- Slow development of border infrastructure and road-rail linkages along the northern borders.
- Restructuring the Border Road Organisation.
- Benchmarking financial allocations for developmental works.
- Efficient use of available human resource.
- Slow pace of modernisation.
- Army’s capability is seriously affected by delays in procurement.
Measures in this regard are-
- Periodical upgradation of existing equipment to handle the current challenges.
- Continuous modernization of the force by gradual induction of latest equipment for giving a futuristic outlook to the army.
- The revised offset policy is a welcome step as it includes technology transfer as part of the offsets. Since offsets are not free of cost, the government must ensure drawing maximum value from offset provisions.
- Adequate training of human resources.
- Lack of basic tools such as a well-equipped reference library denies the officers essential knowledge for functioning efficiently. Governments will in this aspect will help the army go a long way.