Throw some light on the Nano-based Agri-input and food products. Highlight the opportunities and concerns associated with them.
The nanotechnology has redefined the contours of innovation and research. Nano-based agri-input and food products use nanotechnology (i.e. particles to the size of 10 nm) as inputs in agriculture.
- Minimize wastage and effective application of inputs due to ability to deliver targetedly with high precision.
- Environmentally more sustainable than blatant use of pesticides. 65% of agri land is at the risk of pesticide poisoning.
- Higher productivity per unit land as compared to traditional methods.
- Reduce input cost of agriculture as only the requisite dosage is provided.
- Beneficial for farmer health. Cancer belt in Punjab due to overuse of inputs.
- Reduces risk of land pollution and water pollution.
- Helpful in ensuring food security.
- Nutritional augmentation via bio-fortification.
- Environment is a multi-variable thing and overall impact on ecosystem requires time for evaluation.
- Risk on body and health is not fully studied.
- Pest resistance as a construct needs to be evaluated.
- Lack of R&D and high cost of diffusion of new technology.
- Effect on food chain needs to be analyzed.
Therefore, despite its several promises, there are environmental and healthcare concerns that need to be addressed for successful and sustainable adoption.
Topics: 067 - E Technology in the Aid of Farmers • 070 - Technology Missions • 079 - Recent Developments in It Space Computers Robotics Nano Technology Bio Technology • 081 - Indigenization of Technology and Developing New Technology
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|