The youth of India is increasingly getting into the trap of drug abuse. Discuss the factors that are pushing the youth in this direction. Also, discuss the measures to be taken to address the issue.
The issue of drugs has become a grave problem in India, especially in states like Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, etc.
The reasons that are pushing the youth in this direction are:
- Easy availability of drugs and narcotics.
- Porous borders with Punjab have led to the smuggling of drugs.
- Unemployment and lack of proper education & awareness.
- Failure of state machinery, involvement of police and administration in drug syndicate.
- In many traditions, psychoactive substances like Bhaang and Marijuana are part of their culture.
- Lack of rehabilitation centers for treatment and awareness.
The issue of drug abuse among youth needs to be handled swiftly with proper care. Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act is the primary legislation in such cases.
- Spreading of awareness among youth and their parents.
- Identifying early signs to control at an early stage.
- Proper health and rehabilitation centers and trained doctors, both in psychology and medicines.
- Awareness campaigns to end cultural misinterpretation.
- Increasing powers to police to undertake investigations for revealing supply links.
- Increasing punitive measures.
Use of technology in patrolling border areas, e.g Night vision goggles, etc to prevent smuggling.