Simultaneous election to the Lok Sabha and the State Assemblies will limit the amount of time and money spent in electioneering but it will reduce the government's accountability to the people. Discuss.
A debate has been initiated a while ago about holding elections to simultaneous elections to parliament and the state assemblies. The supreme body to conduct the election, the Election Commission of India has also in favor of the recommendation.
It implies organizing the procedure of the Indian election in such a way that synchronization occurs between the elections to Lok Sabha and State Assemblies. Simultaneous election to the Lok Sabha and most of the state assemblies had been in operation for nearly two decades after India’s independence.
- Simultaneous election holding will reduce the total cost of electioneering.
- It will reduce the time taken for conducting long-scheduled electioneering and thus keep functioning the administration.
- Organizing the election for a fixed time period will help to make long term decisions regarding governance.
- Required manpower and other necessary needs will not face any shortage of difficulties.
- It will encourage more voters to use their voting rights.
- It may create a tendency to give more importance to assembly candidates as their field of operation is more closer to the concerned state rather than the Loksabha candidate.
- In case the constitutional machinery in states break down, it is not clear whether the states will be under the president’s rule till the next elections or not.
- The one-time election may stall the development process as a tenure of 5 years is indirectly confirmed.
- The co-operative operation of the central and state government to nullify the hindrance will not work. Different elections have the power to work reciprocally.
The idea of holding simultaneous elections is good but it needs more attention. The problems that may create obstacles to deliver a fair and scientific method of governance should be addressed. And then it is going to benefit the people of India and the whole nation.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|