It’s time to shift focus on other facets of Swachh Bharat Mission, other than construction of toilets as a part of solution for clean India. Discuss.
Swachh Bharat Mission was launched in 2014 with an over arcing goal of achieving total sanitation and hygiene in the country.
- Construction of toilets.
- Achieving ODF status for India.
- Increasing adoption of toilets drastically.
- Promoting waste management and cleanliness.
Need for emphasis on other facets:
- Cleanliness and hygiene should be seen as a continuum not just as construction of toilets. It contains a host of other activities also.
- Waste management and scientific treatment of waste should be promoted.
- Urination in the open is still a problem thus a focus is needed there as well.
- Focus on cleaning polluted ponds and lakes which are becoming grounds for breeding of various vectors and becoming cause of various diseases.
- Focus on containing the pollution from plastic and other non-degradable objects.
SBM has led to a tremendous increase in the adoption and construction of toilets. It is now the time to broaden its horizon to new facets.