India is facing challenge of China’s aggressive stance but this challenge has also provided India an opportunity to strengthen itself internationally and domestically. Discuss.
The relation of China-India is indeed a peculiar one; though sharing interactions for over 3000 years, we know little about each other & this can be attributed to the present misgivings.
Pinch Points with China:
- Occupied region of Aksai-Chin & Shaksgham glacier.
- Border issues in Himachal Pradesh.
- Clash in Arunachal Pradesh & issue of stapled visa.
- Human rights violation in Tibet, Taiwan & Hongkong.
- Incarceration of Uyghur muslims in Xinjiang province.
- Bids to foil India’s efforts to designate Lakhvi & Masood Azhar as international terrorists.
- Aggressive stance in the IOR (strings of pearls).
- China’s BRI & use of debt-trap diplomacy. Also, CPEC and Hambantota port in Sri Lanka.
- Inciting neighbours such as Nepal to take on India. Even Bhutan followed a soft-glove approach in Doklam stand-off.
- Opposition to UNSC reforms, IPR issues & disregard for trade laws.
Opportunities for India:
- India acting as a net security provider in IOR via SAGAR initiative.
- QUAD grouping of Australia, India, Japan & USA for naval & maritime security.
- Sri Lanka still a firm ally of India.
- Blue-Dot network to counter China’s policies.
- Black listing of Pakistan by FATF despite China opposing the move.
- Aatmanirbhar Bharat & reduction of China imports.
India must utilize the opportunity to strengthen itself only then power balance can happen and peace can prevail in the region.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|