India as a democracy needs democratically functioning political parties to deepen the democratic setup at grassroot level. Comment.
While India has a vibrant democracy at parliamentary level, intra-party democracy is not prevalent in India.
Political parties – integral part:
- Give voice to all sections of society.
- Ensure accountability of the government.
- Enables ideologically inclined individuals to participate in democratic setup.
Intra-party democracy worldwide:
- Oldest democracy USA – Presidential candidate chosen through primary election by party members.
- UK – leader of house (PM) chosen by all the members of the political party.
- Party leadership democratically chosen by members.
Need for strengthening intra-party democracy:
- Provides opportunities for grassroot leaders to contest for political posts.
- Youth can aspire for leadership roles.
- Checks dynastic politics and nepotism.
- Ensure free flow of ideas within the party.
- Ensures evolution of ideology with time.
Institutionalization of intra party democracy may be statutorily enforced by amending the Representation of People’s Act (1951). Such a measure will ensure transparency (financial and political), accountability and strengthen grass root level democracy in India.
Topics: 021 - Social Empowerment Communalism Regionalism Secularism • 037 - Comparison of Indian Constitutional Scheme With Other Countries • 041 - Constitutional Statutory Regulatory and Quasi Judicial Bodies
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|