For a new party contesting in election, registration as National party is a stepping stone. Discuss the criteria of being a national party and benefits related to this.
Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 governed the registration of Political parties.
Criteria for being a National Political Party:
- It secures at least six percent of the valid votes polled in any four or more states, at a general election to the House of the People or, to the State Legislative Assembly
- It wins at least four seats in the House of the People from any State or States OR
- It wins at least two percent seats in the House of the People and these members are elected from at least three different States
Criteria for being a State Political Party:
- It secures at least six percent of the valid votes polled in the State at a general election, either to the House of the People or to the Legislative Assembly of the State concerned
- In addition, it wins at least two seats in the Legislative Assembly of the State concerned. OR
- It wins at least three percent of the total number of seats in the Legislative Assembly of the State, or at least three seats in the Assembly, whichever is more
- If a party is recognised as a State Party,ï¿½it is entitled for exclusive allotment of itsï¿½reserved symbolto the candidates set up by it in the State in which it is so recognised,
- If a party is recognised as a National Party, it is entitled for exclusive allotment of its reserved symbol to the candidates set up by it throughout India
- Recognised `Stateï¿½ and `Nationalï¿½ parties need onlyï¿½one proposerfor filing the nomination
- Parties are alsoï¿½entitled forï¿½two sets of electoral rollsfree of costï¿½at the time of revision of rolls
- Political parties are entitled to nominate Star Campaigners during General Elections.
- A recognized National or State party can have a maximum of 40 Star campaigners and a registered un-recognised party can nominate a maximum of 20 Star Campaigners.
The Election Commission of India has declared theï¿½National Peopleï¿½s Partyï¿½as a national party. This made the NPP the first from the north-eastern region to earn the status.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|