Elaborate the works of Kalidasa in Sanskrit Drama and poetry.
Kalidasa is an immortal poet and playwright of India and a peerless genius whose works became famous worldwide in modern world. Translation of Kalidasa’s works in numerous Indian and Foreign Languages have spread his fame all of the word and now he ranks among the top poets of all times.
- Mālavikāgnimitram is the Sanskrit play, which depicts Agnimitra as its hero. Malvika is a maid servant whom Agnimitra falls in love. This was known to his chief queen, who imprisons her. Later it was known that Malvika was of a royal birth and she was accepted as queen of Agnimitra.
- Abhijñānaśākuntalam is a Sanskrit play which depicts the story of Dushyanta, king of Hastinapur, and Shakuntala, daughter of the sage Vishwamitra and the apsara Menaka.
- Vikramōrvaśīyam is a Sanskrit Drama which depicts the love story of Puruvas a Vedic King and Urvashi.
- Raghuvamśa is a Sanskrit epic poem that is a long narration of genealogy of Lord Rama’s Raghu Vamsa beginning with King Dileep up to Agnivarna.
- Kumārasambhava is an epic poem. It refers to birth of Kartikeya, son of shiva and Parvati after a lot of Tapasya to win Shiva who had already won Kamdeva (God of Love).
- Ritusamhara is a mini epic poem in Sanskrit.
- Meghaduta means a messenger of Clouds. It’s a poem with 11 stanzas.
E-Book: 002 - Indian Literature