Discuss the threat posed by Covid-19 on the safety and wellbeing of children all over the world. What steps have been taken by National Commission for Protection of Child Rights in this regard?
World Bank released a report pointing that learning disability may increase by 10% in developing countries due to Covid-induced destruction.
Threat of Covid on wellbeing of children:
- Disruption of traditional network of ASHA in last-mile delivery.
- Reduced institutional deliveries.
- Disruption of traditional vaccination.
- Mental health – concerns due to reduced socialization.
- Physical health – increased screen time.
- Close down of schools.
- Digital divide and lack of access to digital infra (less than 70% children have access to smart phones).
- Mid Day Meal Scheme affected.
- Reduced teacher-child interaction.
Measures taken by NCPCR:
- Surveys & studies conducted to generate data of impact of Covid.
- Engagement with social media to enhance reach.
- Online portals to register complaints and grievances.
- Increased reach through helpline number to address issues.
Special emphasis on child wellbeing is needed in post-Covid world and a mix of institutional and societal efforts is the way forward.