Discuss the role played by various technologies towards improvement of Public Distribution System (PDS) in the country.
Through the usage of technologies in the vast PDS network in India, there can be efficiency and transparency brought about as well as leakages and misuse in the supply can be curtailed.
Some of the technologies used and their roles played in the PDS network are as follows-
- Aadhaar- It is a very potent tool in order to improve identification of beneficiaries.
- Technology Support in the form of UID is putting together technology specifications and infrastructure to handle enrollment, storage and identity confirmation of all Indian residents. The PDS system can leverage this and rapidly move ahead with the enrollment process.
- Use of GPS technology- The use of global positioning technology can be made to track the movement of trucks carrying food grains from state depots to FPS.
- Direct Cash Transfer Program- Through this digitised method, the subsidy will be transferred into the bank account of the beneficiary.
- Electronic Weigh bridges- In order to arrest any sort of food grains loss in the form of ‘physical theft’.
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure must be deployed in such a manner so as to connect all the key offices of the Food Department including the Secretariat, Commissioner cell, District Offices, Teshil/Block offices and Whole Sale Points.
- Handheld devices or the PoS for managing inspections and other data collection activity.
- Common Service Centers (CSCs) under the National E-Governance Action Plan which will be used as citizen service points for the food departments.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|