What are Green Crackers?
Amid the Covid-19 pandemic related situation and concerns regarding increasing pollution due to firecrackers during festive season, many states have imposed certain rules on fireworks in the year 2021.
- States have imposed either a complete or partial ban on firecracker sales.
- In these states, government has permitted the sale of ‘green crackers’ instead.
What are green crackers?
‘Green crackers’ are low-emission fireworks that Supreme Court in 2017 had permitted for celebrations to a moderate level during festivals & relaxed the ‘complete ban’ on fireworks. Green crackers were researched and developed by CSIR-NEERI (Council of Scientific & Industrial Research – National Environmental Engineering Research Institute). These crackers are produced with less harmful raw materials and are they suppresses the dust when they are burnt, reducing the emissions.
Do they contain harmful chemicals?
Green Crackers do not comprise of harmful chemicals like arsenic, lithium, barium, and lead. They release water vapour which does not allow the dust to rise. These crackers are believed to cause 30 per cent less particulate matter pollution as compared to traditional crackers.
Scenario in different states
- Rajasthan government banned the sale and use of crackers in the state. Only green crackers would be allowed and there will be restricted timing for bursting crackers during festive season.
- Delhi Pollution Control Committee has completely banned the sale and bursting of firecrackers in Delhi till January 1, 2022.
- Tamil Nadu urged the governments in Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan, and Odisha to seriously consider the sale of green crackers in their territories.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|