UN World Drug Report 2022
The World Drugs Report 2022 was recently released by UN Office on Drugs and Crimes. As per report, legalization of Cannabis has increased its daily use and related health impacts.
Key Finding of the report
- The report highlights the expansion of synthetic drugs in new markets, increase in manufacturing of cocaine, and the gaps in availability of drug treatments.
- As per report; around 284 million people worldwide, in age group of 15-64, used drugs in 2020. Drug uses witnessed an increase of 26 per cent as compared to last decade.
- Young people are using more drugs. Level of use if drugs among young people was higher than with the previous generation.
- In Africa and Latin America, majority of the people aged under 35 are being treated for drug use disorders.
- 2 million people globally were injecting drugs. About half of this number suffered with hepatitis C, 1.4 million with HIV, and 1.2 million with HIV & hepatitis C.
Importance of Galvanizing
World Drugs report emphasizes on the importance of galvanizing international community, civil society, governments, and all stakeholders for undertaking the urgent action to protect people. It emphasizes to protect people by tackling illicit drug supply and strengthening drug use prevention & treatment.
Effects of cannabis legalization
Cannabis legalization in North America have increased its daily use. With the increasing use, people are facing psychiatric disorders, suicides and hospitalizations. Legalization has also increased tax revenues.
Growth in drug production and trafficking
Cocaine manufacturing has increased from 11 percent in 2019 to 1,982 tons in 2020. Cocaine seizures also increased to 1,424 tons in 2020. About 90 per cent of cocaine seized across the globe, in 2021, was trafficked in containers or by sea. Seizure data suggests that, trafficking of cocaine is expanding to outside main markets of North America and Europe. Opium production have increased by seven per cent worldwide, during 2020-2021. This predominantly due to rise in production in Afghanistan.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|