September 29: World Heart Day
World Heart Day is observed on September 29.
- World Heart Day is observed across the globe to raise awareness about the growing concerns regarding heart health, cardiovascular illnesses, the adverse effects of over-exercising on the heart etc.
- It also highlights the importance of heart care and its positive outcome on health.
- The theme for World Heart Day 2022 is “Use Heart for Every Heart”.
- The phrase “use heart” means to think differently, make the right choice and act with courage to improve heart health and “for every heart” means to serve others suffering from heart ailments.
- The theme aims to bring the global community together to fight the cardiovascular diseases.
The World Heart Day was jointly created by the World Heart Federation (WHF) and the World Health Organization (WHO). The idea to observe this international day was given by Professor of Cardiology Antoni Bayés de Luna, who served as the President of the World Heart Federation from 1997 to 1999. This day was observed for the first time on September 24, 2000. Until 2011, it was observed on the final Sunday in September. Later, September 29 was chosen to be the exact date for the celebration of World Heart Day. It is being observed every year by more than 90 countries across the world.
World Heart Day aims to create worldwide awareness about the ways to prevent cardiovascular diseases. It highlights the risks posed by the tobacco consumption, unhealthy diets and physical inactivity. All of these have caused around 80 per cent of premature deaths from heart diseases like stroke. This day also encourages people to adopt healthy-heart lifestyle.
About World Heart Federation
The World Heart Federation (WHF) is a non-governmental organization based in Geneva, Switzerland. It was formed in 1972. It acts as the principal representative body for cardiovascular community, which includes national and international cardiology scientific societies and foundations. It brings together scientific, medical and professional communities as well as patients and charitable organizations.
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|