Rural Connectivity GIS Data
On February 22, 2022, the Ministry of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj launched rural connectivity GIS data in public domain.
- The GIS data in public domain will facilitate broader use by start-ups, governments, academia, and civil society to improve lives across rural India.
- These data relate to rural roads, social infrastructure and habitations.
- To release the Rural Connectivity GIS Data in public domain, National Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (NRIDA) signed 3 renowned GIS firms and is collaborating with Gati Shakti.
- NRIDA is the nodal implementation agency of PMGSY scheme.
- Collaboration with Gati Shakti will facilitate data exchange for better planning and implementation of both the schemes.
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana was launched in the year 2000. The scheme was launched to provide all-weather road connectivity to eligible unconnected habitations across India, as part of a poverty reduction strategy. This scheme was later upgraded and consolidated to give a fillip to rural economy. Core network of the scheme comprises of ‘Through Routes’ and ‘Link Routes’.
Through Routes collect traffic from various link roads or a long chain of 3 habitations, leading to marketing centres either directly or through higher category roads namely District Roads or State or National Highways.
Link Routes are the roads connecting single habitation or group of habitations to Through Routes or district roads which are leading to market centres.
Sanctioned road under PMGSY
Under the PMGSY, 7.83 lakh Km roads have been sanctioned since its launch. 6.90 lakh Km have been constructed by spending Rs. 2.69 lakh crores.
As part of PMGSY, GIS data for around 800,000 rural facilities as points, more than 2500000 km of rural roads and 1 million plus habitations have been collected and digitized using the GIS platform that was developed for the scheme. These collected rural connectivity GIS data will now available in public domain.
It is a national master plan and digital platform for planning and executing infrastructure projects across India for reducing logistics costs and enhancing infrastructure.
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs - 2022
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|