Rajasthan’s First Handicraft Policy
Rajasthan state government released the Handicraft Policy 2022 recently.
What are the key features of the handcraft policy?
- The Handicraft Policy 2022 seeks to harness the full potential of local handicraft industry and promote new jobs.
- It will boost investments for the promotion of cultural heritage and revival of traditional arts and crafts.
- It seeks to further promote the handicraft exports from the state.
- The policy is expected to strengthen the essential infrastructure required for the handicraft sector to thrive and boost livelihood opportunities.
- It will make Rajasthan’s handcraft products exportable, enabling them gain global reputation via strategic marketing.
- The new policy will empower artisans by providing facilities for organizing a national-level handcraft week every year.
- State-level awards, e-marketing, social security, credit facility and showcasing events will be provided so that these handcraft products are sustainably present in the market.
- These endeavours will especially benefit artisans providing textile, metal, wood, carpet, pottery and clay, painting, leather craft and jewellery products.
- Under this policy, a Directorate of Handicrafts will be set up by the Rajasthan Government to protect the interests of artisans.
- With these supportive activities, the policy is expected to provide jobs to over 50,000 people in the next five years.
Rajasthan’s handcraft industry
The state of Rajasthan is home of over 6 lakh craftsmen and artisans. In 2020 and 2021, handcraft export value touched Rs. 6205.32 crore. Gem and jewellery products worth Rs 4067.36 crore, textiles worth Rs 5729.29 crores, readymade garments worth Rs 1764.40 crore and carpet/dari worth Rs. 464.70 crores reached the global market.
In recognition of the growing value of Rajasthan’s handcraft industry, the World Crafts Council (WCC) declared Jaipur as the “World Craft City” in 2016 due to the flourishing trade of havelis, jharokhas, gates ornamented with handwork, paintings, wall paintings and various other types of handicrafts in the city.
To uplift local artisans in the state, the government included handcrafts as part of the “trusted sectors” of ‘Rajasthan Investment Promotion Scheme-2019’. These products are eligible for additional benefits.
Category: States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|