First Woman President of Honduras
Xiomara Castro was sworn in as the first woman president of Honduras. Honduras is a Central American country. Its capital is Tegucigalpa. It is located along the coast of Caribbean Sea.
About Xiomara Castro
- She is a leftist. That is, she is a socialist leader. She has promised to tackle the drug trafficking in the country. Also, she is to liberalize the strict abortion laws.
- Manuel Zelaya is Xiomara’s husband. He ruled Honduras between 2006 and 2009. In 2009, he left office following the military coup. After his removal, Xiomara ran for elections and has earned great public support.hernandez. He was jailed in the US for drug trafficking.
- Xiomara replaces President Orlando
Xiomara won 51% of the votes. She gained more than 1.7 million votes. This is the first time a leader has won such good number of votes.
The US Vice President Kamala Harris attended the swearing in ceremony. The US wants Xiomara to handle poverty, corruption and violence in the country. This has led to illegal immigration of people from Honduras to the US soil.
- Honduras gained independence from Mexico in 1838. It is known for its Mesoamerican culture. Before Mexicans, Honduras was under Spain. And for this reason, Spanish is the most spoken language in the country.
- The country is predominantly dependent on agriculture. It is prone to natural disasters, especially hurricanes.
Honduras is famous for its sugar cane and coffee.
The world famous Maya civilization developed in Honduras region. It was a Meso American civilization. It thrived in the time period of 500 BC. It is one of the oldest civilizations in the world. The art forms of Maya included perishable and non – perishable items such as ceramics, wood, obsidian and jade. There are several contradictions around the collapse of Mayan civilization. Recently, study proved that the civilization did not collapse due to drought.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|